Saturday, July 17, 2010

I just wanted to learn how to swim!

In January I decided to swallow my pride and I started going to an adult swim class to learn how to do the front crawl better. After the first couple of times I didn't know if I could do it or not. Jeff told me that I had to go 5 times before I could decide whether I wanted to quit or not. I continued like he said and eventually started to really enjoy swimming. I think the swim instructor Jane Hudzol took me on as her summer project. After I learned how to swim she talked me into training for the base triathlon. I told her that I might try, but I knew I really wasn't going to. I have never ran in my life and I had just learned to swim.
Well, I have now been training for the base triathlon for about 8 weeks with a training group. It was a great experience, and I met a lot of new people. On Thursday 16 July we all went out to dinner to "carb" load before the big day.
I didn't sleep much last night, so I was not sure if I had it in me to finish.
We had to swim 400 M, bike 12 miles, and run a 5K. I thought I had my counting right, but my timer didn't say anything to me until I was out the door and at my bike. Apparently I still had a lap to go. I was pretty mad that they had let me get so far away from the pool. I just about gave up, but I didn't. I got back in the pool and finished. I am so glad I did!

It started to rain part way through the bake portion of the race. There was lightening so I thought they might call the race, but it started to clear up and by the end it was sunny again.

I was the oldest competitor to do the whole race. There was one guy older than me, but he was on a relay team and only ran. I definitely think I should have gotten a special award!




5 comments:

Paul, Brittney, and Avery said...

Way to go!!! We love you!!

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

Way to go! You are awesome!! I didn't know you didn't swim..I don't either..I am terrified. Maybe I will have a go at it and see what happens. Well done, you are amazing.

Name = Spencer Hansen said...

Extremely impressive. I don't even believe I could run a 5k.

CE said...

Oh my goodness! WOOHOO, You ROCK! I wish Becky and I could've been there to be a part of it with you.

CE said...

Jason did the base triathlon here today and his recovery dinner is JD's Tomato Pepper Steak, thanks for the recipe, it never gets old :-)